Skip to main content

Alness United v Golspie Sutherland

27 August 2011
North Caledonian League
Alness United 2 Golspie Sutherland 0 (att 65)

A rare dip into the North Caledonian League for me, although as it's lost a few clubs I think I only need two more to complete it.

This was a very entertaining game, with a result that surprised me. Alness had the better of the first half, thanks mainly to the strong wind blowing in their favour, but failed to score.

I expected Golspie, who had threatened on the break, to take control in the second half, but the wind dropped and within 10 minutes or so of the re-start Alness had scored twice. A comeback always looked possible, but eventually Golspie ran out of ideas, and time.

Alness play at Dalmore Park, further out of town than the former ground I saw a game on back in the 1990s. There are two pitches, at right angles, and United use the one furthest from the changing rooms. It's surronded by wooden posts, although the pitch wasn't roped off, and there's a pair of dugouts. I believe the other pitch is used by Alness Athletic in the local summer welfare league.




Comments