Skip to main content

Liverpool John Moores University v Leeds University

2pm  21 October 2015

BUCS Northern 1A
Liverpool John Moores University 1 Leeds University 0 (att 2)

More midweek afternoon university football, this time a home game for Liverpool John Moores which allowed me to tick off the newly-installed 3G pitch at what used to be called Breckside Park, but is now the Anfield Sports and Community Centre.

I last saw a game here in 2010, on one of the grass pitches that remain. The artificial pitch, floodlit and enclosed by a typically high mesh fence, doesn't overlap the pitch used by Clubmoor Farmers FC that day, so this was a new ground for me.

I'm currently enjoying an unusually-long run of games without a goalless draw. I've some way to go to match my best ever (194 games), but I've got to more than a hundred. However, for 89 minutes or so it looked as if the run would come to an end in Liverpool, before a last minute winner gave the home side a win.

They'd been the better side, although had it remained at nil nil I couldn't have complained at the entertainment, as this was a thoroughly enjoyable game.

John Moores had the better of a tight first half, but it was after the break that the game really came to life. Leeds started the second half well, creating chances and looking the more likely goal scorers, but the home side recovered and got themselves back on top.

It took some fine saves by the Leeds keeper to stop John Moores from going in front, aided occasionally by poor finishing, and it looked to have been enough for a point, until the home side's 90th minute winner.

The players celebrated the goal as if they'd won the title, while I had a quieter celebration that I'd made it to 108 games without enduring a nil nil draw.







Comments