Skip to main content

Niddrie Community Church v Central Church

10am  9 October 2021

Edinburgh Churches League
Niddrie Community Church 4 Central Church 0 (att 13)

This was my first experience of the Edinburgh Churches League, which as far as I can tell is the only Saturday morning league in the city.

It was a handy stopping off point on my way from Berwick, where I'd stayed after the previous night's game at Newcastle Blue Star, towards my main game further west in the afternoon.

The league has an informative website, which I kept an eye on as venues altered some fixtures disappeared in the days leading up to the weekend. In the end there were three matches, one on a ground I'd been to previously and two at Seafield Recreation Ground.

Niddrie played Central on pitch one, while White Lightning and St Mary's met on pitch two, far enough away not to be a distraction.

My game was a little late starting, due to a lack of pegs to secure the goal nets. Once a solution was improvised it was an enjoyable 90 minutes, albeit short of the standard I've seen in Glasgow's Saturday morning leagues.

Niddrie's opening goal was well taken, and set them on the way to a comfortable win. They scored twice in each half, moving them top of the league, which has a single division of a dozen clubs.








Comments