Skip to main content

Ardallie v St Combs at The Meadows, Ellon

2pm 16 April 2023

North East Scotland League, Gordon Leask Cup, Group 4
Ardallie 1 St Combs 5 (att 6) at The Meadows Sports Centre, Ellon

I'd assumed this fixture, a diversion on the way home from our overnight base in Inverness, would be at Ardallie's Halfway House ground. But when I checked it I was told that pitch problems there had forced a move.

Instead Ardallie had booked Ellon's Meadows Sports Centre. Fortunately, from my groundhopping perspective, it wasn't the Ellon United pitch that I visited in 2014, but the one next door.

It's the regular home of Aberdeenshire Amateur League sides Ellon Amateurs and Ellon Thistle, and has a dugout on one side.

I expected top division St Combs to be easy winners against lower tier Ardallie. That was the eventual outcome, but Ardallie matched their visitors for large parts of the game.

St Combs scored early, and doubled their lead not long later. But Ardallie pulled a goal back before half time and were still in contention into the second period. Eventually though the visitors' quality showed as they added more goals.








Comments