Skip to main content

Osbaldwick v Huntington Rovers

2pm  14 February 2015

York League, Premier Division
Osbaldwick 1 Huntington Rovers 4 (att 40)

I've visited one or two York League teams for cup matches in the past, but this was my first experience of a league game, and I was impressed.

I was a little surprised when the FA granted the competition "step seven" status a couple of years ago, putting it on a par with the top amateur leagues in England, and putting it onto my groundhpping radar.

On paper this looked an unexciting mid table battle, albeit a local derby. My main reason for choosing it was that Osbaldwick was handy for dropping off my other half for an afternoon around the shops in York.

Both sides had their moments, but Huntington in particular impressed me with their football. They deservedly took a first half lead, and doubled it before the break thanks to a misplaced clearance by the home keeper.

In the second half Osbaldwick were quickly back in the game, scoring after 47 minutes, but their comeback was shortlived as Huntington soon scored again to lead 3-1. The visitors added a fourth near the end, and had chances to have won even more convincingly.

Osbaldwick is a couple of miles east of York city centre. The club plays at The Leyes, a pleasant sports ground, which also houses cricket, surrounded by suburban houses. The football pitch is roped off, with a pair of temporary dugouts on one side.










Comments