Skip to main content

St Margaret's Old Boys v FC Salle

1.15pm  25 January 2020

Liverpool Old Boys Amateur League, Division One
St Margaret's Old Boys 2 FC Salle 1 (att 14)

I probably spend too much time looking at football fixtures. But groundhopping sometimes becomes a sort of logic puzzle, where the solution is in the occasional alignment of kick off times, matches and venues.

Two lunchtime kick offs at Heron Eccles, both with first teams at home, followed by a pair of three o'clock starts, again featuring first teams and in two leagues I like to complete, was all the incentive I needed for an afternoon on Merseyside.

There are a trio of 3G pitches at Heron Eccles, one of the excellent football hubs that have sprung up around Liverpool. None of them overlap a grass pitch, still there and with nets up but not it use today, where I watched Lucas Sports play in 2002.

Both the later games would require floodlights, and so I knew that even if the grass pitch was used for one of the day's early games I was still guaranteed two matches on two new grounds (well, pitches).

It turned out there were three fixtures at lunchtime, one of each of the 3Gs. As well as the two Liverpool Old Boys Amateur League matches I was expecting, there was also a top of the table clash in the I Zingari Combination (not that you'd know that from the league website, which gave a different venue).

St Margaret's Old Boys versus FC Salle was my first choice for the opening game, as a top division fixture featuring the league leaders. Not only that, but I'd seen St Margaret's Old Boys at their spiritual home two years ago.

I watched them win in 2018, and they did so again as they inflicted only the second league defeat FC Salle have suffered so far this season.

It was a decent game. The visitors got lucky when a free kick slipped through the home keeper's hands for a first half lead, but St Margaret's levelled shortly before half time. The winning goal was a penalty early in the second half.

The action took place on pitch two at Heron Eccles which, in common with pitches one and three, is floodlit and has a spectator area running the length of one touchline.







Comments