Skip to main content

Buxworth v Bakewell Town

2pm  7 May 2016

Hope Valley League, Premier Division
Buxworth 1 Bakewell Town 4 (att 16)

I've long been an armchair Leicester City fan, although as this blog shows I'm never in my armchair on a Saturday afternoon. However, I was determined to be back in my armchair to see them lift the Premier League trophy, so a 2pm kick off not to far away in the High Peak suited me perfectly.

Much like the later fixture at the King Power, there was little at stake at Western Lane, but like Leicester, Buxworth and Bakwell put on a decent show for the crowd. The fine weather and scenic setting helped no end.

Bakewell, higher in the league, came from behind after conceding an early goal. They'd equalised by half time, went ahead in the first minute of the second half and then never looked back.

As a football ground Western Lane in Buxworth is basic. It's an uneven pitch in the field, with changing rooms in a nearby shack, but it's such a lovely setting that its quirks add to the appeal.

Dry stone walls separate the pitch from the road on one side, and the from the next-door cricket ground behind the goal. The cricket boundary is short, and an in-form batsman could easily endanger an unwary goalkeeper at that end.

With parking spaces at a premium, I initially parked near the cricket ground, but had visions of a six causing some expensive damage (the houses opposite had metal grills over the windows) so I soon moved further up the road.










Comments