Skip to main content

Guernsey v Feltham

12 November 2011
Combined Counties League, Division One
Guernsey 2 Feltham 0 (att 1,752)

I grew up in Feltham, and Feltham Arena was where I watched my first ever non League match, in December 1984, when the home side were soundly beaten by Banstead Athletic.

These days I still follow Feltham's progress, usually from afar, but if they play on a ground I've not been to I try to get to the games when I can. So once the season's fixtures were released it was an easy decision to pick this weekend for a mini break in Guernsey.

With the home side making a good start in their debut season, and Feltham on a losing run, I feared it could be defeat even more comprehensive than the Banstead match, but Feltham defended well and made life difficult for the hosts.

Guernsey deserved the win, but it took them until the 33rd minute to go in front, and Feltham always looked capable of getting an equaliser before Guernsey's second goal just 11 minutes from the end. All in all an enjoyable game, and having seen some poor Feltham performances in the last few years I was very impressed with their football.

Guernsey play at the Footes Lane Stadium, on the outskirts of the island's capital St Peter Port. As a football ground it's not the best, especially with a large crowd. There's a modern seated stand, sold out for this game, spectators can stand behind both goals, but on the far side, where I stood, the standing area is beyond the running track and behind a pair of large dugouts.

Despite the size of the crowd, Guernsey's best of the season so far, the atmosphere was a little muted. The club employed a band, literally trying to drum up some more vocal support, and they had some effect. The game also marked the debut of Guernsey's mascot, Roary the Lion, who entertained the crowd with his antics. Sky Sports were also in attendance, and a feature on the game will appear during next weekend's Soccer Saturday show.

I know the 16-year-old me, walking home from Feltham Arena 27 years ago, would never have imagined flying from Manchester to the Channel Islands to watch a Feltham game.

Ground no 3,672








Comments