Skip to main content

Brighton & Hove Albion v Barnsley

6 November 2011
Football League, Championship
Brighton & Hove Albion 2 Barnsley 0 (att 19,841)

Recompleted "the 92" for the umpteenth time with a visit to Brighton's new home. If the previous days visit to Rusthall was everything I enjoy about visiting non League grounds, an afternoon at the American Express Community Stadium reminded me why I rarely watch league football these days, except when dutifully visiting any new grounds that crop up.

The game was ok - I'm sure there'll be plenty of detailed match reports elsewhere online - but as an afternoon's entertainment I certainly wasn't worth the £32 (including £2 booking fee) that it cost. Yes the stadium looks nice, the seats are padded and there's plenty of leg room.

Many of the seats probably had a better view of the pitch than mine, which was too low towards one corner, and many, unlike mine, probably didn't have annoying people sat in front who insisted on leaping to their feet every time Albion crossed the half way line.

On Saturday at Rusthall I paid my admission money then drove through the stand to get to the car park. At Brighton I had to park miles away, and catch a bus to the ground, sprinting out at the final whistle to give myself a chance of an early bus back to car before the long trek home. The programme was good, although at £3 it ought to be.

At least it's the only new League venue this season.

Ground no 3,670






Comments