Skip to main content

Maryhill Thistle v Glasgow Island

10am  19 May 2018

Glasgow Colleges League, Premier Division
Maryhill Thistle 3 Glasgow Island 2 (att 15)

Having had my first taste of Glasgow Colleges FA football a few weeks ago, when I watched Maryhill Thistle lift a cup at Petershill's ground, I visited the champions as I made my debut in its league competition.

I had planned to watched Blochairn Star's Strathclyde Saturday Morning League game, but I arrived to find little sign of life less than 30 minutes before kick off, so I assumed it was off and diverted to this game as a back up.

Blochairn played, so maybe I should have held my nerve and been patient, but as it turned out I was rewarded by an entertaining game on a 3G pitch at the Firhill Complex.

Despite having nothing to play for Maryhill Thistle were good in the first half, and two goals looked to have put them on the road to a comfortable win.

But in the second half they eased off and Glasgow Island - many of whose players come from the Western Isles and are working or studying in Glasgow - scored twice, including a penalty, to level with 30 minutes left.

Not longer after the visitors' equaliser a petty squabble over a throw in quickly escalated to the point where I feared the referee might fail to regain control and abandon the match. It took several minutes, and a red card for Maryhill, before order was restored.

Despite a man advantage Glasgow Island couldn't get in front, and numbers on the pitch were evened up when they had a player red carded in the final minute. Maryhill's stoppage time winner owed much to good fortune, after a clearance by Island's keeper was charged down and ended up in the net.








Comments