Skip to main content

Solihull Youth Academy v AFC Balsall

3pm 31 August 2026

Midland Football League, Division Three
Solihull Youth Academy 1 AFC Balsall 1 (att 32)

As we were travelling back to Manchester from the South East it made sense to target a game that was on the way, but venue changes in the Midland Football League meant this was, in effect, my plan C.

I had low expectations of the ground Solihull Youth Academy have moved into this season. It's an artificial pitch at the New Irish Centre Birmingham in King's Heath, and spectators have to watch from outside the high fence that encloses the playing area.

I was last at the venue 25 years ago, when it was the West Midlands Transport sports ground. Back then there were only grass football pitches, and I saw a game on the pitch closest to the entrance. The new artificial pitch doesn't overlap that, hence a need to return by my groundhopping rules.

Having won all seven of their league games so far, I expected the home side to continue their perfect start against mid-table AFC Balsall. But the away side impressed during a goalless opening half.

The key moment of the first 45 minutes was just before the break, with a Solihull Youth Academy player was sent off for a second booking.

Despite their numerical disadvantage, the hosts opened the scoring after 59 minutes. Balsall had been unlucky though, hitting the frame of the goal more than once. They got a deserved equaliser with 11 minutes left.







Comments