Skip to main content

Driffield Junior v Reckitts

2pm  28 December 2019

Humber Premier League, Premier Division
Driffield Junior 2 Reckitts 1 (att 80)

On Friday evening I'd been unsure where to go for today's game. Eventually I settled on a destination, only for it to be called off on Saturday morning.

Driffield Junior were the first club I was then able to contact and get a definite positive that their game was on, and so I headed east for their Humber Premier League clash with Hull-based Reckitts.

A pre-match glance at the league table gave me low expectations for the fixture, and I wasn't expecting many goals. But after a tight and goalless first half the game improved greatly after the break.

Reckitts started the second half brightly, although I thought the home side, promoted to this level after finishing as runners-up in division one last season, were a little unlucky to go behind.

They weren't trailing for long though. Two goals in as many minutes turned the tide in their favour, and set them up for a win that should ease any fears of a quick return to the league's lower division.

Driffield Junior were formed in 2002, according to an informative inscription on the corner flags. I assume they're a club with a focus on youth football, which would explain the name, and the multiple pitches at the ground.

The main pitch is the one closest to the changing rooms, and to an adjacent portable building that houses a snack bar. Both touchlines were roped off, and there's a pair of dugouts on the far side.










Comments