Skip to main content

Saltcoats Victoria v Ardeer Thistle

2pm  4 February 2012
SJFA West Region, Ayrshire League
Saltcoats Victoria 1 Ardeer Thistle 0 (att 50) abandoned at half time, pitch unplayable

Despite the poor weather I decided to try for a game on grass, with back up options on 3G at Carluke and Rossvale (sharers at Petershill). I was surprised to be told Saltcoats was on, even more so when I saw the condition of the Campbell Park pitch.

On an awful sticky mud bath of a pitch, with pouring rain and a gale blowing in from the sea, it was, needless to say, a rather scrappy game (or half a game). Saltcoats deserved their lead, although the best moment was a long range Ardeer shot which struck the crossbar.

By half time the rain had eased, and the pitch wasn't a lot worse than it had been at the start, but the referee decided it was no longer playable. There was a suggestion Ardeer had put pressure on him to call a halt, but I don't know if that was the case.

During the first half I'd been thinking how much credit was due to the teams, and the ref, for playing in such conditions. The abandonment surprised most spectators, but delighted those who'd made the short trip from Ardeer.

Everyone has their own groundhopping "rules", and mine have always been that if a game gets to half time before it's abandoned then I'll count it. On that basis I consider Saltcoats "ticked", but I may well return for a full game at some point.

The match programme was dated 17 December, when I believe the scheduled game was, apparently, controversially postponed. I wonder if they'll again be selling copies again when they replay the fixture.







Comments