Skip to main content

Newcastle Community Christians v North Shields Unity

10am 5 September 2026

North East Christian Fellowship League
Newcastle Community Christians 1 North Shields Unity 1 (att 10)

Previous experience has taught me that this league's website isn't always to be trusted for venue information, but with three of the morning's four games all scheduled to be at Walbottle Academy I knew this was a safe bet.

That said, I thought I'd spend my morning watching reigning champions St Charles begin their title defence, as that game was listed for a 10.15 kick off, which I assumed would be 15 minutes before the other matches.

But when I arrived this game was closest to getting underway. It kicked off at 10am, 15 minutes before St Charles, who played on an adjacent artificial pitch, and half an hour before the other game on grass.

Newcastle Community Christians finished runners-up last season, and had to come from behind to claim a point against North Shields Unity. The visitors made the better start, and scored an early goal. It remained 1-0 by half time.

Newcastle equalised in the second half and by then the game was fairly even. North Shields had a chance to win it when they were awarded a penalty, but the spot kick was saved.

The visitors were marginally the better side but on balance a draw was a fair result. Next door St Charles had a big win, and will probably be favourites to retain their title.

With two other pitches still to visit, I expect I'll be back at Walbottle Academy before too long.








Comments