Skip to main content

Old Epsomians v Old Brentwoods III

12 noon 14 September 2024

Arthurian League, Division Three
Old Epsomians 2 Old Brentwoods III 5 (att 1)

I extended a work trip to London long enough to allow me to visit family and to watch football in the capital, which meant I was on public transport for the day.

Finding a pair of games on new grounds easily accessible without a car was more of a challenge than I'd expected, but two midday games at the King's House Sports Ground in Chiswick were my starting point.

It was last at the venue, formerly the Civil Service sports ground, in 2019 for an Arthurian League game at what was then the sole 3G pitch. In the years since a second artificial pitch has been added, so with two fixtures scheduled I knew one would be a groundhopping 'tick'.

Unlike the original, '3G pitch two' is primarily for rugby, with football pitch markings secondary. Another difference is that it's equipped with a spectator area the length of one side.

Old Brentwoods, who were having something of a day out in West London as their fourth team were the visitors on the other pitch, scored the only goal of the first half about 10 minutes before the break.

They doubled their lead early in the second period, and soon scored again for a 3-0 lead. Old Epsomians pulled one back but there was no danger of a revival. Two more Brentwoods goals followed, before the hosts got the game's final goal just before the end.

Unusually, but not without precedent for me in this league, I was the only spectator. I was an enjoyable game though, and my second match was just a short walk away.








Comments