Skip to main content

Keelby United v Westella and Willerby

2pm  1 August 2020

Friendly
Keelby United 0 Westella and Willerby 1 (att 85)

Twenty weeks ago I travelled to north Lincolnshire and saw the home side lose by the only goal. I suspected it might be my last match for a while, possibly of the season, and that's how it turned out. I've now book-ended the long gap with a similar journey and the same score.

Keelby is further than I'd normally travel for a friendly. But these aren't normal times and after such a hiatus I was grateful just to have live sport to watch. I also had a back up of a game at nearby Immingham had there been any problems with this fixture.

There were no problems though, and for a pre-season game it wasn't bad to watch. An early goal was enough for Humber Premier League Westella to beat Lincolnshire League Keelby, and although the visitors were marginally the better side there wasn't much between the two.

Players on both teams looked keen, and while league football remains a few weeks away both clubs will take confidence from their performances.

Without football to watch my blog may have been dormant since March, but Keelby United have been out of action for much longer, as least as a senior Saturday afternoon side. They didn't field a team last season, but have recruited both a first and reserve side for 2020/21.

The Keelby Sports Ground is a basic venue for spectators, but an excellent facility for the local community, with a pitch for cricket pitch and several for football. The main pitch was roped off on one side and, although the distant clubhouse was closed, the club were selling drinks at pitchside. It's a step up from a playing field in the centre of the village, where they played when I visited in 2007.








Comments