Skip to main content

Borrowash Victoria v Mickleover Sports at Shobnall Leisure Complex

1pm  8 July 2017

Helen Belgrave Memorial Trophy at Shobnall Leisure Complex, Burton-upon-Trent
Borrowash Victoria 2 Mickleover Sports 4 (att 60)

Helen Belgrave was the mother of a Mickleover Sports player, and sadly died early this year. A trophy in her memory will apparently become a regular event and Sports, fittingly, were the first club to lift it.

Despite being a pre-season friendly in all but name it wasn't a bad match. Higher ranked Mickleover scored very early, then doubled their lead before Borrowash pulled a goal back. The second half saw Sports score twice more, and a consolation for Borrowash.

I was pleased to see a game at all. I'd been tempted to the fixture by the venue, which was supposed to be the Marston's Brewery sports ground in Burton. On arrival players and officials found the pitch wasn't fit to stage the game. I didn't get chance for a close look, but was told holes on the surface made it unplayable.

Luckily Shobnall Leisure Centre is just across the road, and after a couple of phone calls a pitch there was booked. Judging by a map behind the sports centre reception, the game was played on 'pitch four'.

I wasn't entirely sure whether I might have been to Shobnall once before. The name sounded familiar, but I didn't recognise it. Having checked, it seems I saw the now-defunct Stretton Eagles on the neighbouring Shobnall Sports Ground in 2010, so this was a new ground for me.









Comments