Skip to main content

Splott Albion v Aberystwyth Exiles

2pm 3 October 2026

Welsh Amateur Trophy, Second Round
Splott Albion 7 Aberystwyth Exiles 1 (att 45)

Having gone three weekends without a game - one at a wedding and two on a football-free holiday - I was keen to get to a couple of matches on my return.

Once I spotted a 5pm kick off among the FA of Wales Amateur Trophy second round fixtures it made sense to head to South Wales. I chose Splott Albion on the basis that it was a short and easy journey to the later game.

Back in 2008 I saw Splott Albion play on one of the many pitches at the Cardiff University sports ground. These days they play at Splott Park, also known, for sponsorship reasons, at the Gate Systems Arena.

A railed off pitch in the park has been enclosed by a fence. There's a pair of modern dugouts on one side and an obsolete older pair opposite. Changing rooms are in a building that includes a bar, and in the corner near the entrance there's a snack bar and some picnic tables.

I expected Splott Albion, newly-promoted to the South Wales Premier League's third tier, to have an easy afternoon against opponents who play in the Cardiff Combination League. Eventually that's how it turned out, but the final score was harsh on Aberystwyth Exiles.

Splott dominated early possession but found it hard to break down a well organised Exiles defence. Then two goals, after 24 and 30 minutes, broke the deadlock.

The home side began the second half sloppily by conceding a goal, and for a short while it looked as if the visitors might equalise. But a third Albion goal ended their resistance.

As Exiles tired towards the end Splott Albion added more goals to give the final score a lopsided look.









Comments