Skip to main content

Rowley College v Saint Michael

10.30am  16 March 2019

West Midlands Christian League, Division One
Rowley College 3 Saint Michael 3 (att 4)

I was heading for a south Wales game brought forward to lunchtime to avoid clashing with the Six Nations rugby decider, but when I got the unsurprising news that it was rained off I diverted to Smethwick.

I'd enjoyed my few previous ventures into the West Midlands Christian League, and this was another decent game despite a very strong wind that challenged the players.

I picked this fixture purely because it was a new ground close to the motorway, and with no time to check it was on, or to go elsewhere if it wasn't, I was pleased to see both teams warming up on the pitch when I arrived at Holly Lodge School.

Saint Michael, whose players are Polish and were kitted out on Poland's colours, had the better of the opening exchanges but fell behind to a well-taken goal. They had the wind at their backs though, and turned things around to lead 2-1 by half time.

The second half mirrored the first, with one goal scored into the wind and two with it. Rowley College's equaliser came late, although a draw was a fair outcome.










Comments