Skip to main content

Rotherham United reserves v Peterborough United reserves

1pm  6 November 2018

Central League Cup, North Central Group
Rotherham United reserves 3 Peterborough United reserves 1 (att 65)

It still amazes me that fringe players prepare for potential professional first team football by playing in a front of a few dozen diehards on midweek afternoons on roped off pitches at training grounds.

Still, at least this game provided me with the unexpected bonus of a new venue to visit en route to my main game later in the day. Until I arrived I wasn't sure if it'd be a 'new' ground, as Rotherham's training facilities are next to non-League Parkgate FC and the match could have been played at their well-appointed ground.

It would have been a more fitting location for a professional match, but as I'd been there before I was happy to find the match was on one of two pristine grass pitches which Rotherham use for training. A small area along one side was roped off for spectators, and teamsheets were sold for 20p.

I've no objection to paying such a paltry sum for a teamsheet, especially as admission was free, but it does seem odd that a Championship club insists on people handing over a few pence for the privilege of knowing who they're watching.

Reserve team games can be sterile, and with this being a league cup group match I had low expectations in terms of entertainment, but it turned out to be a decent watch. Peterborough went ahead with a well taken goal, but the home side turned it around to lead 2-1 at half time.

Both sides had chances after the break, but the only additional goal came late and cemented Rotherham's win.







Comments