Skip to main content

Moorside Social v Ordsall Park

11am  11 June 2016

Eccles Sunday League, Division Two
Moorside Social 0 Ordsall Park 3 (att 7)

I don't watch Sunday football, but I do watch summer football, and as the Eccles Sunday League has now switched to a summer season, and as it's very local, I decided to give it a try.

Plan A was a cup match at De La Salle's Lancaster Road ground, but 15 minutes before the scheduled kick off there was no sign of the game, so I headed elsewhere. The league website gives a score for the De La Salle tie though, so it was either played elsewhere or I should have been patient.

My alternative was Littleton Road, and one of the many grass pitches that form part of the Salford Sports Village complex.

The last time I saw a game on grass here, in 2003, was before the sports centre was built. The pitch used that day is now in an area of the park that looks to be mostly small-sided pitches for junior games.

There's plenty of full-sized pitches though, as well as the 3G which was also staging an Eccles Sunday League match.

Ordsall Park went into this fixture as league leaders. They deserved their win, but had to work hard to see off a determined Moorside team who restricted them to three second half goals. The one that broke the deadlock, 10 minutes after half time, was an excellent long-range strike that wouldn't have been out of place at much higher levels of the game. Having gone ahead the outcome of the match was rarely in any doubt.

Summer football doesn't guarantee good weather unfortunately, and much of the second half was played in heavy rain, but the game was entertaining enough and I'm sure I'll be back for more summer Sunday league football.








Comments