Skip to main content

Market Inn v Ship Inn

1pm  29 June 2014

Stewartry Sunday Amateur League
Market Inn 4 Ship Inn 2 (att 25)

A season which began, for me anyway, on 29 June 2013 in Orlando, finally ended exactly a year to the day later, in Castle Douglas, south west Scotland.

Occasionally, when attempting to explain the idiosyncrasies of my hobby, I point out that I don't watch Sunday league football and I don't watch pub football. But sometimes the lines are blurred, and as I do watch summer leagues the Stewartry Sunday Amateur League is certainly "do-able", despite its title and the number of teams in it that are named after pubs.

This was actually the first Stewartry League game I've seen, and the two sides provided a very enjoyable game to round off the season. It lived up the cliche about a game of two halves. The Ship Inn looked the more accomplished side, scoring twice in quick succession to lead to 2-0 by about the 20th minute, a lead they held to half time.

Perhaps the Market Inn manager inspired his side with an interval team talk, because they turned the game around completely in the second half. Their four goals included a penalty, and a fantastic volley from distance, that will go down as my final goal of 2013/14.

Market Inn use a pitch found off Birkland Road in Castle Douglas. Comments on the league's Facebook pages were uncomplimentary about the condition of the council-maintained pitch, and I'd sympathise with anyone having to play on it. It's hard, bumpy and has little grass, so the Market and Ship Inns deserve credit for an entertaining afternoon.








View
Market Inn AFC in a larger map

Comments